Friday, May 22, 2015

A week since surgery

Leo had surgery precisely a week ago. It surely doesn't seem like it. He is in a really good shape. He did not pee since the Vet (Sage Dublin) on Wednesday afternoon, which concerned us. This morning at around 4.30am however he had a little accident, which isn't a problem at all, thanks to out Pet Supply Store Owning neighbors who gave us plenty of pee pads tp put in his beds all over the house. Thanks for that! My husband Shawn (luckily!) had to get up during that time and cleaned it up and re-pee-patted the area.
When I got upMANY hours later (7.30) Leo was in such a deep sleepI didn't want to wake him, so I left for my dentists appointment. When I came back, he was awake alright, complaing to me how I could have ever left without saying goodbye, and then didn't look at me. Until I lifted the gate, when he came wabbling out slobbering all over me. He still has the urge to jump from excitement, that is why I try to hold his collar on the side of his chest, so can't, and be as close to the fround as I can.
He then had breakfast, which I could not prepare fast enough if you ask him, as he kept whining when he heard me fill his bowl, and then went outside to try and pee. If he would not be able to pee, it would not be so bad, as he had at night, but still I hoped he could start going here at his home lawn without any tricks again. On his terms. I took him out and he clearly did not want to be in the sling. He escaped in his drunk looking wabbly walk.When I say escape, I mean I can easily, in walking speed still "catch" him if necessary, but he seemed determined to smell a certain bush. And he was. He finally had bowel movement. I don't think anyone has ever been happier about a dog pooping on the lawn, but I sure was happy. It had been a week!!! So I rushed in to get a poop bag, when I came back he wasn't where I left him. He was about 5 feet away from his potty spot, with this really weird look on his face. Sitting in the grass like that I realized he was peeing, and that weird look was relief! YAY!
Believe it or not, since he stayed like this for a solid minute, I was able to snap him looking all funny. I know it is weird to upload a picture of Leo peeing, but man am I happy that he can do it.

I realized that he needed a little sniff-space to be able to do his business and called Sage (Campbell) about this. They said, that per bathroom-break he is allowed to walk about10 feet on his own without sling or anything. And I never really thought of this, but I think Leo likes his privacy when he needs to go to the bathroom. I learn something new every day. 
We then proceeded to do physical therapy outside (away from his business of course), during which he fell asleep. However when I tried to do the bicycle motion, he seemed to not like it as much and decided to roll over his back and make cute faces. He is really hard to resist, that dog.
After that he got a bullystick and I finally got my breakfast.
He is now deep asleep in his living room crate asI am writing this. That is how I like it. Sleeping without tranquilizers, just because he is comfortable and exhausted from the chew bone and smelling the outside.
UPDATE: On his second potty run today he was  also successful!



2 comments:

  1. So glad Leo is on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Leo is doing so well! It sounds like he's going to make a full recovery! I know I'd be celebrating too on the pee & poop if my dog went through that surgery. That's a BIG milestone! Yay for Leo!

    ReplyDelete